Our Worth

I'm not sure when vigils became political... Perhaps the growing feeling of social injustice has something to do with it? Perhaps there is a belief that making them political will help to bring the much needed change? Still, I have no intentions to get political here. 

When I heard what happened to Sarah Everard (RIP), I was shaken to the core. Last weekend, I read an article referencing the tragic loss and it touched a nerve.

My sons ask if a man has ever hurt me. Not really, I lie | Life and style | The Guardian

A man has never hurt me, but without giving it a second thought I could add a few examples to the list of when I felt unsafe or harassed... Suppose, similarly to the author of the article, I should consider myself lucky... Except, I don't want to feel lucky. I want feeling safe and respected to be the norm. 

Despite the overwhelming statistics, I'm not pointing the finger at men. Anyone can be an abuser. Anyone can fall victim to abuse. The bottom line is, we need a culture change. 

On Monday, sexual abuse in schools made the big news. 

School abuse claims could be the 'next national scandal' - BBC News

One factor contributing to the ever worsening climate is the objectifying of people. We are living in a very image-based reality. With constant access to technology, there is no getting away from it. One swipe and someone is in or out of your life. No wonder we get asked all the time if we are robots. 

Thanks to Soma Sara, who set up The Everyone's Invited website, change is no longer an option. The culture change is happening. More importantly, we can all play a part in the change e.g. by promoting healthy relationships, healthy boundaries, self-worth or safe use of social media, by calling out abusers and eradicating disconcerting behaviours. 

Introducing of a helpline is a much welcomed change. It will bring reports of abuse to the surface and provide support and guidance for the victims. 

The government announced today that it has launched a review and that the helpline will be open from 9am tomorrow. There is hope!

Everyone's Invited: Schools abuse helpline and review launched - BBC News

I watched "Tina" tonight - the ultimate story of empowerment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Labour Pains of Self-publishing

Think Christmas Thoughts

The Great Big Pause