Pandemic-induced Petmania

It appears that Coronavirus is not the only thing that has been spreading. Many of us have been infected with a desire to own a pet. An idea most likely spurred on by the fact that we couldn't see anyone in person for a while, let alone hug them. 

Apparently two in five people in the UK bought a puppy during lockdown...

I admit, both myself and my other half have developed a weird obsession of frantically browsing through webpages of rescue dogs. Luckily for the dogs, we have been out of sync. One week he says we are getting a dog, but I'm not having it. The following week I'm ready to take the big step, except he has since come to his senses and decided it's not for us.  

Somehow, between the conversations about the benefits of owning a pet and watching "The Dog House" (a very soppy programme on Channel 4 *you've been warned*) a hamster made his way into our lives. Yes, a hamster, not a dog. 

It's Saturday night and I'm trying to relax and watch a talk show as you do. The volume is already on 23 and I'm convinced the neighbours from across the street will soon turn up, yet I still can't hear what is being said. One of the children comes down and complains they can't sleep because of the noise the hamster is making on his so-called silent wheel (that's with the door shut). Silent wheel, yeah right! I so wish I had swapped with the husband, now watching football upstairs. Who needs to hear the fake football crowd noise?! 

After a hundred thousand turns on his wheel, the hamster finally gives up. Hmm suspicious... he's still on the wheel, just with his eyes shut. The next second, his head drops... I freeze... Surely he did not run himself to death? Thank goodness as soon as I move, the hamster leaps back up! He's gone for a snooze, the silly thing. 

So the cage is about 70cm long and takes up best part of the side unit, but it is fair to say that the hamster has taken over the entire living room. We can no longer sleep here or have guests (post COVID-19), unless we move him out for the night. Not just because of the noise, but also because of the pongy smell of sawdust mixed with toilet odours. The two diffusers I have placed in the room don't seem to make much difference. On the plus side, I can still use the space to exercise in the mornings. Apparently thumping noises don't bother hamsters when they are asleep. A relief, I get to keep some of my old "pet-less" life. Another thing to moan about is the cost. You would think a small creature like that doesn't need much... Turns out they need to be entertained! So far, he has accumulated two balls, two bridges, a few chewing toys, a playpen and the silent wheel, which is definitely his favourite... I know, that's just us falling right into the pet market trap! 

As the boring pandemic days roll on, I find myself forgetting the world as I'm staring at the hamster performing climbing tricks. He can climb upside down, would you believe! He has also managed to stand up on top of his rather narrow water bottle. And when our human child says, "Mummy, watching him is so therapeutic," it more than makes up for all the teeny-tiny inconveniences.  

The trouble is... I'm sure the husband is secretly hoping this is the first step to owning a puppy...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Labour Pains of Self-publishing

Think Christmas Thoughts

The Great Big Pause