To the Children of Ukraine

I aspire to share positivity through my writing. But it is hard to stay positive today when there is so much suffering in the world. A couple of days ago, I saw something unimaginable on the news. Something I wished never happened, and something I can never unsee. An 18-moths old boy was killed in a supposed "ceasefire" in front of his parents... I oppose media praying on people's tragedy and sensationalising it. Though I am forever disturbed by the horrific death of a boy whose name I will never know. In my own words:

***

I cried so hard today, 

Though my soul cried harder. 

A lifeless body of a young child was carried to safety.

Shrapnel piercing through his organs. 

His little fingers covered in blood. 

I had hope, but there was no hope. 

The faces of his saviours said a thousand words...

He was gone. 

They covered him with his blanket.

The one he used to cuddle to sleep. 

His mum and dad still in disbelief. 

I stopped crying eventually,

Though my soul never will. 

***

Please listen to this song: sanah i Igor Herbut „Mamo tyś płakała” - YouTube

It's called "Mother, you cried," and the music is based on "The Spinner" by Stanisław Moniuszko, "the father of Polish national opera." 

All proceedings go to SIEMACHA, a charity involved in helping Ukrainians.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Labour Pains of Self-publishing

You Have Been Unsuccessful on This Occasion

If I Were a Rich Girl...